I'm hanging out in the business class lounge of Terminal B at Newark International Airport. This is my first time in a business class lounge so I don't know if they are all like this, but this one seems like a large cafeteria. There is a very stern man who checks your ticket when you walk in and behind him are lots of long tables with passengers propped up on bar stools, checking their emails, reading the financial sections of newspapers, fiddling with graphs on their computers and generally also looking very stern. A flat screen television plays CNN.
There is a long bar on the left side of the room that serves food. It's free (which I was very excited about, as you can imagine) but all they seem to have is cereal and water and some booze. On the plus side, there is free WiFi, which is great because now I can share my meandering thoughts with you fine readers.
In sum, the business class lounge is not at all inspiring and thus far unworthy of the extra $3000. I am also the youngest person in here by a few decades so the people watching is lackluster. The airport is generally one of the best places in the world to people watch. There are the grumpy fashionistas who take ten minutes to undo their overcomplicated shoes at the security checkpoints. (Seriously, just wear some flats.) Hordes of obnoxiously loud frat boys with farmer tans heading off to drink themselves silly and possibly contract a veneral disease. Girls who wear sequined tube tops and leather leggings like there is some kind of club scene about to happen on the plane. Grotesquely obese American families complaining about how the seats are too small. Travelers who dress all in black and carry chic streamlined suitcases. Backpackers sporting hemp necklaces and those pants with 9374 pockets on the sides. People like me who decided not to give a shit and look accordingly so. IT IS AMAZING.
Here everyone is just old and reading "Time." Boo.
I board in twenty minutes so I'm going to go check out the juice selection and steal a few magazines for the flight. Will update soon in Singapore. Tootles.
No comments:
Post a Comment